There are a lot of possible meanings as to what a freelance writer for hire is. Since they work in many industries, and for either a writing company or a single client, this term can be confusing.
What is a freelance writer? To put it simply, a freelance writer is just like any writer, but they work on a self-employed basis. A freelance writer for hire is essentially an independent business owner.
But if you prefer to watch a video instead, click here:
A Freelance Writer for Hire is All About the Contract
Being a freelance writer for hire means you are writing for a client who pays you after completing every assignment. So you work on a project or contractual basis.
No matter the type of freelance writer, the biggest factor they have in common is the project-based workflow. When you complete an assignment, you can then move on to a new one. A freelance writer for hire has a lot of different names they go by, such as:
- Content Writer – You write all kinds of content, including blog posts, articles, web content, emails, PR, and eBooks.
- SEO Writer – You write articles and content using SEO practices to rank high on search engines.
- Web Content Writer – You write content for the web, such as websites.
- Freelance Blogger – You write only blogs and articles.
- Ghost Writer – You write all kinds of essays, blog posts, or eBooks under the name of your client.
If you have been working as a freelance writer for at least five years, you can also call yourself a professional writer. The same thing can be said if you are highly knowledgeable in your niche, as it makes you an expert as well.
The Benefits of Being a Freelance Writer
Many people these days are turning to freelance writing as a profession, and for good reasons. After all, its biggest perk is the opportunity to work at home or just about anywhere you choose. If you have a laptop, you can even work while enjoying a day at the beach.
Other benefits of being a freelance writer for hire include:
- Choosing your working hours, allowing you to leave the 9-to-5 world behind
- Deciding how many hours to write a day or week
- Choosing who to work for, what to write about, and how much to write
- Never having to deal with traffic or commuting since you can work at home
- Creating your ideal workspace and environment, unlike a traditional office
- Taking days off or holidays without the hassles usually encountered when working for a company
It is great not to be confined to an office and all its restrictions. However, there is uncertainty about being a freelance writer for hire. Since you don’t work for a company, you can’t be sure when you will get your next assignment.
With that, freelance writers are always looking to land new clients. For this reason, it’s great to be a part of a forum or group where you can search for gigs. You may also want to work for a writing company on a contractual basis.
What Kind of Services Can You Offer?
For a new writer, you can focus on offering a single service. It is best to start with the easiest type of writing, which is blog writing. Since blog posts are small projects, it’s a good starting point for a beginner freelance writer for hire.
Most blog posts are only 700 to 1500 words. Some range from 2000 to 4000 words, but you can start with the shorter types. It is also great because instead of writing a one-off piece, it is more recurring and so you may land some ongoing work.
Besides blog writing, you can also offer article writing and web site content. These are also reasonably easy with shorter word counts. Starting with these types of writing helps you gain some experience and time to identify what types of writing you most enjoy.
Types of Writing Available
After a while, you can start branching out by offering other services such as:
If you can be persuasive, you can use this talent by offering copywriting. You can content for websites, sales pages, press releases, and other similar pieces.
2. Ghost Writing
Some clients will want someone to write a piece for them. You can be that ghostwriter, writing eBooks, and other content under your client’s name.
3. Creative or Fiction Writing
Do you have a talent for creating compelling stories? Much like ghostwriting, you can offer to write all kinds of stories for your client. You can also choose the genre.
You can also provide basic proofreading or developmental editing as part of your services. You won’t be writing content but correcting it instead.
5. Blog Management
With this, your job may not be writing. You could be managing writers, editing their work, and publishing content for your client.
6. Social Media Marketing
At some point, freelance writers branch out to social media marketing too. This job is when you handle the social media accounts of your client, updating them regularly.
7. Graphic Design
Another service that many freelancers have branched out to is graphic design. It’s a great option if you have an appreciation for artistic qualities. You could create book covers for eBooks, magazines, and the like.
What Kind of Content Can a Freelance for Hire Offer?
Freelance writing can be either offered offline or online. If you become an online freelance writer, the content you write is mostly for the web. The content won’t be in print but rather posted on different sites. The advantage if you work online is you can always find work.
Here are some types of content you can offer to clients:
- Blogposts – This type of content is more like a web journal or informational content. They can cover all kinds of topics, which is why they are in demand for companies.
- Site Content – This refers to web pages – the texts you read whenever you visit a website. It also has something to do with copywriting.
- White Papers – This refers to lead-generating professional articles.
- Essays – These articles usually involve educational content.
- Magazine articles – This type of writing includes content written in a more formal or journalistic style.
- Press Release and Web Copy – These articles are content written in a subtle persuasive style.
- eBooks – This type of content includes electronic books on just about any topic.
When you start working as a freelance writer for hire, think hard about the type of writing you want to do. If you are unsure, you can test the different types to see which suits you the best. And ultimately choose the type of content that is the easiest for you to write.
What Are the Different Types of Job Contracts?
There are many different kinds of work available. Similarly, there are different arrangements for work as well. The more common types of working relationships include:
- Ongoing Regular – It means you get regular work coming to you. It also means that although contractual or project-based, it is permanent and is not in danger of stopping suddenly.
- Ongoing Sporadic – In this type of work relationship, you have permanent work, but it doesn’t come regularly. And so, neither does the pay.
- One-Offs – This is a single “to-do” project that is usually finished when you complete the project.
Besides these three, there is also what is called magazine pitches. You pitch an idea, and if accepted, the magazine assigns you the project. Lastly, you may enter a contract for passive income. This possibility arises when you receive payment for an eBook or article you wrote on an ongoing basis.
Do You Need to Have a Degree to be a Freelance Writer?
It certainly helps if you have a degree, but this is not a requirement. If you are a working adult or a college student looking for extra income, you can be a freelance writer for hire. Almost anyone can be a writer, but you do need to know how to effectively string words together.
This quality means the piece you write must be brief, concise, and to the point. It should explain, narrate, or illustrate a topic coherently. If you have a hard time putting your thoughts into words clearly, then writing is probably not for you.
How to be a Freelance Writer
There are many different ways that you can start your journey as a freelance writer for hire. Some people start by working at a writing company and learning the ropes. But if you are transitioning to freelance writing, there are some steps you can take to pull off this move:
1. Determine Your Writing Niche
It is important to choose your writing niche from the start. If you choose the right niche (a profitable one), you can grow your client base and quickly establish a stable income.
When you consider your niche, factor in what you like to write about and what experience you have. Besides identifying your niche, you want to narrow down what you want to write about.
2. Build Your Portfolio
Here’s something to keep in mind – clients won’t hire a freelance writer for hire without seeing their writing samples first. You can show it to them by building a portfolio that showcases your best samples.
Your portfolio can include content you wrote specifically for the portfolio. Or, it can be articles you posted on your blog or as guest posts.
3. Get Online
It’s incredibly important for a freelance writer to have an online presence. You have to be on social media as a way to prove your legitimacy. This means that signing up on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn is a must. You can also start a blog.
It’s not only about putting yourself out there. These social media platforms can provide your dream writing gig. Instead of chasing jobs, you can attract them by showcasing what you have to offer.
4. Time to Pitch
This step is when you can start pitching. Pitching is telling your prospective clients what you are all about. So be sure to highlight what you can do and how you can solve their problems.
A pitch must be short but still includes all the essential things that will convince your client to choose to work together. It can be challenging to write an incredible pitch. So be sure to take the time to develop it effectively.
Freelance Writing Is an Amazing Career
Freelance writing provides you with unbelievable freedom to do what you love. And at the same time, it allows you to be with your family. That freedom has its disadvantages, but if you work hard, being a freelance writer for hire is a fun and rewarding job.
Bunny Studio offers amazing opportunities for a freelance writer for hire. Don’t believe me? Well, check out the many benefits you can get by working with them.